TrailLink.com Photography Internship, Washington, D.C.
Open Until Filled
View All Job Postings
Rails-to-Trails Conservancy (RTC) is the nation's leading advocate for trails and the only national organization devoted to converting unused railroad corridors into multi-use trails. Rails-to-Trails Conservancy is dedicated to connecting people and communities by creating a nationwide network of public trails. RTC is headquartered in Washington, D.C., with regional offices in California, Florida, Pennsylvania, and Ohio.
Rails-to-Trails Conservancy's TrailLink.com website receives approximately 300,000 unique visits each month. We are seeking interns who are interested in helping us improve the content and build traffic to the site. Traillink.com offers over 23,000 miles of trail information to the public free of charge. The site provides comprehensive trail information including trail names, photos, uses, descriptions, and GIS maps. TrailLink.com is one of Rails-to-Trails Conservancy's top priorities for the upcoming year as we build a mobile version and Iphone app.
Summary of this Opportunity
The National Office, Washington, D.C. has a full or part-time TrailLink.com/Photography Internship available. The successful candidate will assist the TraiLLink.com team in enriching images on the site. Specific responsibilities include:
- Enrich the site with trail photos by:
- Loading existing photos from our archives into the appropriate trail record
- Researching trail photo resources and soliciting the use of photos on TrailLink.com
- Creative campaign development and execution through social media, onsite and/or email to encourage photo submissions by the public
- Identify best photos for each trail to publish in Iphone app
- Secure and document rights to use photos we collect
- Apply keyword metadata and geotag photos when possible
- Conduct outreach to collect historic photos in support of fulfillment of a grant RTC secured to embellish the site with trail history and historic photographs for select trails.
- Assist in implementation of the overall Traillink.com work plan for 2013
Qualified interns will be a student senior undergraduate or currently in a graduate program related to photography, marketing, journalism/communications, database management or related fields. The student should have the ability to work independently; and have excellent verbal and written communication skills.
Internships are unpaid, though interns will enjoy the benefits of working in downtown Washington, D.C., in the casual but professional RTC National Office. Easily accessible by metro's red, orange and blue lines, the office is located in the heart of the West End, nearly equidistant between the Foggy Bottom and Dupont Circle stations. Nearby cultural attractions include the Smithsonian, historical monuments, and the trendy Dupont Circle and Adams Morgan neighborhoods.
Please use only one form of transmitting your resume; no phone calls.
Send cover letter and resume to:
Duke Ellington Building
Attn: Elton Clark
2121 Ward Court, 5th Floor
Washington, DC 20037
RTC is an equal opportunity employer and seeks qualified candidates regardless of race, color, gender, disability, or national origin. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.