Open until filled
Rails-to-Trails Conservancy (RTC), a nonprofit organization with more than 160,000 members and supporters, is the nation's largest trails organization dedicated to building a nation connected by trails. We reimagine public spaces to create safe ways for everyone to walk, bike and be active outdoors. Founded in 1986, RTC’s national office is located in Washington, D.C., with regional offices in California, Florida, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin. Connect with RTC at railstotrails.org and on social media @railstotrails.
This position is located in RTC’s national office in downtown Washington, D.C., and is easily accessible from Metro’s red, orange, silver and blue lines. However, due to COVID-19, staff are telecommuting.
The Accounting Associate is a member of RTC’s finance team. The position will participate in day-to-day finance operations and has primary responsibility for accounts payable, accounts receivable and management of RTC’s employee credit-card program. The position supports month-end closing, project management and reporting, and participates in the annual audit. The Accounting Associate works with the Chief Operating Officer and Controller on financial matters and projects, as assigned.
The Accounting Associate is responsible for accounts payable, accounts receivable, the organization’s credit-card system, maintaining detailed records and ensuring proper internal controls. This person must maintain a detailed awareness of the financial affairs of RTC and ensure timely, accurate execution of duties.
Specific responsibilities include the following:
- Manage accounts payable, including vendor maintenance, invoice authorization and general ledger coding, voucher entry, invoice payment cycles, and maintenance of electronic voucher and payment files.
- Prepare and import Positive Pay fraud files to RTC’s bank.
- Coordinate with RTC’s bank and software representative to resolve e-checking and Positive Pay issues.
- Prepare cash management reconciliation after check processing.
- Process electronic deposits and prepare associated journal entries.
- Manage RTC’s employee credit cards. Download and distribute employees' monthly statements. Process classification journal entries and maintain an audit of outstanding reconciliations and receipts. Administer credit card program with the bank.
- Manage accounts receivable, including preparing invoices and tracking payments in the accounting system for contracts and internal billings. Follow up on outstanding invoices, as needed.
- Prepare bank reconciliation for bank credit-card account and prepare associated journal entries.
- Prepare monthly cost allocations and recurring journal entries, adjustments and reclassifications.
- Prepare monthly reconciled general-ledger schedules for assigned balance-sheet accounts.
- Maintain, create and adjust project codes in the chart of accounts.
- Reconcile and process health-savings account contributions.
- Coordinate signatures for and notarize charitable registrations.
- Prepare sales and use tax returns, 1099s and other tax documents as needed.
- Assist with fiscal year closing and audit preparation.
- Assist Controller in the preparation of financial statements.
- Distribute, collate and notate the breakdown of employee time on biweekly timesheets.
- Manage storage of off-site files.
This position does not have any supervisory responsibilities.
Desired Background and Personal Attributes
The ideal candidate will have a minimum of two years’ experience in accounting, ideally at a nonprofit, and possess the following skills and qualifications:
- Associates degree in Accounting, Finance or related field a plus
- Working knowledge of accounting software (preferably Dynamics)
- Experience with accounts payable and accounts receivable
- Skilled in Excel and other Microsoft Office products
- Critical thinking
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal and time management skills
- Dependable, detail-oriented and able to work independently
Normal office setting with low to moderate noise level.
RTC reserves the right to revise, change or reclassify this job description at any time in accordance with RTC’s business needs. This job description is by no means an implied contract.
How to Apply
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. To apply, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the following:
The position you are applying for in the subject line
A résumé (as a separate attachment)
A cover letter that includes a brief statement about your personal background or experiences that demonstrate your potential to contribute to RTC’s commitment to create an inclusive and diverse workplace.
Commitment to Diversity
Rails-to-Trails Conservancy seeks diverse, passionate and qualified individuals who want to make a difference in the world. RTC is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, age, and other legally protected characteristics.
If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please e-mail email@example.com and provide the nature of your request and your contact information.