Open until filled
Rails-to-Trails Conservancy (RTC) is the nation’s largest trails organization—with a grassroots community more than 1 million strong—dedicated to building a nation connected by trails, reimagining public spaces to create safe ways for everyone to walk, bike and be active outdoors. Founded in 1986, Rails-to-Trails Conservancy's national office is located in Washington, D.C., with regional offices in California, Florida, Ohio and Pennsylvania. For more information, visit www.railstotrails.org. Connect with RTC @railstotrails on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn.
RTC’s Communications Department tells the story of the nation’s trails, walking and bicycling movement—inspiring activism, encouraging policy change and motivating people to be active outside on America’s trails. Through social media (@railstotrails), online engagement (railstotrails.org), our quarterly magazine, news media and events, we engage with RTC’s diverse audiences, including trail enthusiasts and those discovering the joy of trails for the first time, lawmakers, trail builders and partners, nationwide.
This position reports out of RTC’s national office in downtown Washington, D.C., and is easily accessible from Metro’s red, orange, silver and blue lines. RTC is currently operating with a hybrid work schedule. Remote work is acceptable; however, mandatory works days in the D.C. office will be required upon the office reopening from closures due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Proof of COVID-19 vaccination is required for interns working a hybrid schedule.
RTC is seeking a Communications Intern with research, writing and social media skills to support the activities of the Communications Department. Internship runs from February to April (16 weeks), with a 20–24-hour minimum work week. Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Supporting advance promotional efforts and partner and trail user engagement for Celebrate Trails Day, April 23, 2022 (railstotrails.org/celebratetrails)
- Researching potential topics, and assisting in writing and authoring RTC articles for, blogs and social media (railstotrails.org/trailblog)
- Creating content for the RTC website (railstotrails.org) and other materials, as assigned
- Engaging with RTC’s social media audiences on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and LinkedIn by designing social media activations and engaging directly with audiences via direct messages and messenger
- Analyzing content performance on RTC’s social media platforms
- Assisting with drafting press releases and media alerts
- Compiling and cataloguing RTC media contacts, blog contacts and partners
- Collecting, cataloguing and securing permissions and rights to use photos and images in RTC publications
- Other duties as assigned by the communications team
There are no supervisory tasks assigned to this role.
Desired Background and Personal Attributes
RTC is seeking an ungraduated, graduate or young professional in a related field (communications, journalism, public relations or marketing preferred). Candidates should be task oriented and highly organized and possess a strong interest in the topics of health, the environment, sustainable transportation, outdoor recreation, pedestrian issues, bicycling or trails.
Normal office setting with low to moderate noise level.
RTC reserves the right to revise, change or reclassify this job description at any time in accordance with RTC’s business needs. This job description is by no means an implied contract.
How to Apply
We are now accepting applications for Spring 2022. Due to COVID-19, remote work is an option. To apply, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the following:
The position you are applying for in the subject line
A résumé (as a separate attachment)
A cover letter that includes a brief statement about your personal background or experiences that demonstrate your potential to contribute to RTC’s commitment to create an inclusive and diverse workplace.
Commitment to Diversity
Rails-to-Trails Conservancy seeks diverse, passionate and qualified individuals who want to make a difference in the world. RTC is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, age, and other legally protected characteristics.
If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please e-mail email@example.com and provide the nature of your request and your contact information.