Open until filled
Rails-to-Trails Conservancy (RTC), a nonprofit organization with more than 160,000 members and supporters, is the nation's largest trails organization dedicated to building a nation connected by trails. We reimagine public spaces to create safe ways for everyone to walk, bike and be active outdoors. Founded in 1986, RTC’s national office is located in Washington, D.C., with regional offices in California, Florida, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin. Connect with RTC at railstotrails.org and on social media @railstotrails.
A flagship program of RTC, TrailLink.com is the nation’s foremost trail-finder website, with a current catalogue of trails collectively spanning more than 40,000 miles. Through its extensive offerings, accessible online and through TrailLink’s mobile apps—RTC has connected tens of millions of people to trails since 2009, with interactive maps, descriptions, directions, and user-submitted reviews, ratings and photos.
This position is located in RTC’s national office in downtown Washington, D.C., and is easily accessible from Metro’s red, orange, silver and blue lines.
The Content Marketing Specialist works as an integral part of the TrailLink team to implement content marketing strategy and scale our unique outdoor recreation and health and wellness audiences. The job duties include identifying new keywords and content through competitive analysis; optimizing authority, trust and relevance for existing content; implementing link-building strategies; performing content syndication outreach with earned media partners and online influencers; and managing outsourced copywriters for new content.
The ideal candidate will possess a proven track record of success with developing and implementing content marketing strategy based on SEO best practices and will be able to demonstrate results in scaling growth and engagement through digital marketing channels (web, mobile, email, earned media, social).
- Work with CTO and SEO consultant to identify new growth strategies.
- Identify new content to grow organic traffic through keyword research based on competitor analysis and search volume trends.
- Manage outsourced copywriters and interns for content creation.
- Manage earned media partnerships.
- Implement content syndication strategy with media partners and influencers.
- Optimize existing site content placement according to SEO best practices.
- Implement backlink strategies and perform outreach.
- Perform regular SEO audits to address and fix technical issues.
- Optimize email marketing campaigns to drive subscriptions and referral traffic.
- Implement social-media viral marketing campaigns to boost sharing and referrals.
- Improve app store optimization and visibility (ASO) for TrailLink’s mobile apps.
- Manage TrailLink’s Google AdGrants account and maximize monthly budget.
- Assist with strategies to improve user experience, engagement and conversion.
- Assist with information technology support requests when needed.
This position reports to the Chief Technology Officer and will supervise outsourced copywriters.
Desired Background and Personal Attributes
Ideal candidate will possess the following skills and qualifications:
- Three years of demonstrated SEO and content marketing experience
- Knowledge of search engine algorithms and SEO best practices and tools (Moz, SEMRush, Google Search Console, etc.)
- Strong understanding of digital marketing methods and principles, including earned media
- Strong knowledge of information technology principles
- Strong analytic skills and ability to interpret data and think creatively and strategically
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in scaling online growth
- Significant experience with Google Analytics, Adwords, Search Console
- Ability to collaborate with internal teams and external partners to generate results
- Familiarity with content management systems (CMS) and HTML
- A lot of enthusiasm, resourcefulness, and initiative to prioritize and expedite workflows and work independently
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Normal office setting with low to moderate noise level
RTC reserves the right to revise, change or reclassify this job description at any time in accordance with RTC’s business needs. This job description is by no means an implied contract.
How to Apply
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. To apply, please email email@example.com with the following:
The position you are applying for in the subject line
A résumé (as a separate attachment)
A cover letter that includes a brief statement about your personal background or experiences that demonstrate your potential to contribute to RTC’s commitment to create an inclusive and diverse workplace.
Commitment to Diversity
Rails-to-Trails Conservancy seeks diverse, passionate and qualified individuals who want to make a difference in the world. RTC is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, age, and other legally protected characteristics.
If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org and provide the nature of your request and your contact information.