Open until filled
Rails-to-Trails Conservancy (RTC), a nonprofit organization with more than 160,000 members and supporters, is the nation's largest trails organization dedicated to building a nation connected by trails. We reimagine public spaces to create safe ways for everyone to walk, bike and be active outdoors. Founded in 1986, RTC’s national office is located in Washington, D.C., with regional offices in California, Florida, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin. Connect with RTC at railstotrails.org and on social media @railstotrails.
This position is located in RTC’s national office in downtown Washington, D.C., and is easily accessible from Metro’s red, orange, silver and blue lines. However, due to COVID-19 staff are telecommuting.
The Human Resources Manager will foster a community of high performance, innovation, passion and engagement, and work with managers to develop teams that perform to the best of their abilities. The position will help staff build successful careers at RTC and beyond. The position will also be expected to deliver a perspective to RTC’s executive team on human resources (HR) trends to help shape strategy and business procedures, as well as set standards and ensure best HR practice.
RTC employs 45 staff, and the Human Resources Manager will serve as RTC’s sole HR capacity, working closely with the finance and operations team.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support the management team and staff on all aspects of employee relations.
- Oversee development and management of HR policies and procedures for all offices and employees, ensuring compliance with current employment and nonprofit law.
- Provide assistance and advice to managers in the rollout and update of personnel policies and ensure that the requirements of the policies are followed by all employees.
- Lead in the design, management and implementation of HR programs and initiatives that further RTC’s Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) strategy and contribute to creating a more diverse and inclusive workplace.
Leadership and Strategic Management:
- Provide strategic advice and guidance to the senior leadership team and managers.
- Develop and oversee the implementation of personnel practices and procedures, creating alignment with RTC’s strategic initiatives.
- Act as a champion of organizational priorities and change within the organization.
Performance Management and Training:
- Manage performance review processes, providing guidance to managers on performance appraisals and the development of performance standards.
- Identify and deploy relevant training and professional development opportunities for staff.
- Develop, implement and track employee development programs.
- Coach managers on employee relations and manage difficult situations to resolution.
- Anticipate and resolve complex problems and questions, including employee relations and retention issues, in an economical and equitable manner compliant with legal regulations and general business practices.
- Oversee organization-wide recruitment, ensuring RTC attracts, retains and motivates a high-quality, diverse workforce enabling it to carry out its mission and achieve its objectives.
- Collaborate with management to determine the recruitment strategies tailored to each vacancy.
- Collaborate with hiring managers to thoughtfully craft comprehensive onboarding plans and the introduction of new hires to RTC and their roles in the organization.
- Manage RTC’s intern program. Design, develop and implement a program that provides interns training and leadership opportunities, one-on-one mentorship and skills, while supporting RTC staff in advancing our programmatic work.
- Oversee exit processing.
Compensation and Benefits:
- Manage total compensation approach: Work with President and COO to set salary determinations; conduct periodic salary and benefits benchmarking surveys within applicable markets and develop related salary protocols; oversee annual auditing and selection/negotiation of benefits package.
- Monitor all pay practices and systems for effectiveness and cost containment.
- Manage group retirement and benefit administration, including recommending changes to benefits based on current trends and providing general information to all employees and maintenance of plan documents.
Administration and Management:
- Manage accurate and compliant record systems for employee data and maintain official personnel files.
- Develop and deliver HR reports for senior leadership team on all HR-related matters.
- Support payroll processing, including notification of new hires, terms and changes in benefit elections/status. Serve as backup for processing bi-weekly payroll.
- Manage compliance reporting, including all required federal and state notices, 403b discrimination testing, annual 5500 tax return and workers compensation audits.
This position reports to the Chief Operating Officer. The Human Resources Manager will direct RTC’s internship program and have an indirect supervisory role with interns.
Desired Background and Personal Attributes
The ideal candidate will have a minimum of four years of experience in human resources, ideally at a nonprofit, and possess the following skills and qualifications:
- Undergraduate degree in Human Resources or Business a plus
- Professional in Human Resource (PHR) certification a plus
- Payroll experience a plus
- Experience managing benefits and claims: 403(b), medical, dental, short and long term disability, state leave benefits, life and worker's compensation
- Understanding of federal and state employment law and regulations
- Experience with Microsoft 365- and third-party vendor solutions
- Exceptional interpersonal, written and oral communication skills
- Ability to analyze, evaluate and effectively communicate about complex benefit programs
- Approachable, service oriented, collegial
- Confidential, with an understanding of security risks and measures to protect confidential information
Normal office setting with low to moderate noise level. We will work with successful applicants to solve technology needs to ensure a positive remote work experience.
RTC reserves the right to revise, change or reclassify this job description at any time in accordance with RTC’s business needs. This job description is by no means an implied contract.
How to Apply
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. To apply, please email email@example.com with the following:
The position you are applying for in the subject line
A résumé (as a separate attachment)
A cover letter that includes a brief statement about your personal background or experiences that demonstrate your potential to contribute to RTC’s commitment to create an inclusive and diverse workplace.
Commitment to Diversity
Rails-to-Trails Conservancy seeks diverse, passionate and qualified individuals who want to make a difference in the world. RTC is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, age, and other legally protected characteristics.
If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org and provide the nature of your request and your contact information.