Open until filled
Rails-to-Trails Conservancy (RTC) is the nation’s largest trails organization—with a grassroots community more than 1 million strong—dedicated to building a nation connected by trails, reimagining public spaces to create safe ways for everyone to walk, bike and be active outdoors. Founded in 1986, Rails-to-Trails Conservancy's national office is located in Washington, D.C., with regional offices in California, Florida, Ohio and Pennsylvania. For more information, visit www.railstotrails.org. Connect with RTC @railstotrails on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn.
The TrailLink Content Coordinator will work in close collaboration with the TrailLink team and colleagues across the organization The position is responsible for creating trail content and managing our trails database. A flagship program of RTC, TrailLink.com is the nation’s foremost trail-finder website, with a current catalogue of trails collectively spanning more than 40,000 miles. Through its extensive offerings, accessible online and through TrailLink’s mobile apps—RTC has connected tens of millions of people to trails since 2009, with interactive maps, descriptions, directions, and user-submitted reviews, ratings and photos.
This position is located in our Washington, D.C. National Headquarters, and is eligible for a hybrid work schedule in accordance with RTC’s policies. Proof of vaccination is required for all staff.
This position creates and manages content to ensure that TrailLink.com is the most comprehensive database of public facing trail information for open multi-use trails in the United States. The TrailLink Coordinator will:
- Maintain RTC's open trails database including trail name, facts, descriptions, photos, and external links.
- Perform outreach to identify new multi-use trails through a variety of research methods
- Audit existing records for extensions, new amenities and connections to other trails
- Create tools to monitor external sources for potential updates (alerts, social, etc) to identify, evaluate and update the database with new trails, extensions, and amenities.
- Coordinate with RTC staff to ensure all internal trail updates and content (including photos) created throughout the organization are shared and published on TrailLink including content generated from RTC’s eNews, magazine, guidebooks, and TrailNation projects.
- Coordinate with GIS Specialist to update, track and maintain trail and trail amenity information on trail maps.
- Report regularly on new open trails outreach and audit strategies.
- Periodically review and update trail history and itineraries for set group of trails.
- Proactively identify areas to improve processes, content, and user experience
- Assist with new SEO content development
- Assist with other TrailLink related duties as needed.
This position does not have any supervisory responsibilities.
Basic Qualifications and Personal Attributes
- Undergraduate degree, or 1-2 years’ work experience with content creation and/or database management
- Proficient with data entry and database management
- Proficient with a broad variety of research techniques both online and through personal outreach
- Understanding of copyright and permissions as it relates to creating and publishing website content
- Have excellent written and oral communication skills
- Have excellent interpersonal skills
- Understanding of ArcGIS software helpful
- Knowledge of database reporting and SQL helpful
Normal office setting with low to moderate noise level.
RTC reserves the right to revise, change or reclassify this job description at any time in accordance with RTC’s business needs. This job description is by no means an implied contract.
How to Apply
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. To apply, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the following:
The position you are applying for in the subject line
A résumé (as a separate attachment)
A cover letter that includes a brief statement about your personal background or experiences that demonstrate your potential to contribute to RTC’s commitment to create an inclusive and diverse workplace.
Commitment to Diversity
Rails-to-Trails Conservancy seeks diverse, passionate and qualified individuals who want to make a difference in the world. RTC is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, age, and other legally protected characteristics.
If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please e-mail email@example.com and provide the nature of your request and your contact information.