Trails don't just happen. They take the passion and energy of many dedicated people to become a reality.
Our employees come from diverse backgrounds but with a common purpose—to enrich the lives of millions of Americans by creating a nationwide network of trails, which supports active transportation, health and wellness, environmental sustainability and economic vitality in communities across America.
Being part of the Rails-to-Trails Conservancy (RTC) team is a rewarding experience. Working
How to Apply
Thank you for your interest in working with RTC! If you want to be a part of our ambitious mission and believe your values, experiences and skills would be a good fit, please apply for one of the jobs listed below.
Note: Please submit your resume and cover letter directly to the contact person listed, and be sure to follow the application instructions exactly.
Full and Part-Time Positions
- Director of Research (Full Time), Washington, D.C.
- Trail Development and TrailLink Coordinator (Full Time), Washington, D.C.
- Web Manager (Full Time), Washington, D.C.
- Transportation Policy, Washington, D.C.
- Geographic Information Systems, Washington, D.C.
- TrailLink.com Photography, Washington, D.C.
- Trails and Greenways Program – East Coast, Washington, D.C.
- Trails and Greenways Program – West Coast, Oakland, Calif.
At the very heart of RTC are our core values: leadership, teamwork, service, respect, quality and effectiveness—in a casual and fun work environment! These values inform how we treat each other, how we relate to external partners and how we go about our daily work.
To make these values real, we are committed to creating an internal culture that—
- Gives all of us the opportunity to participate in decision-making
- Fosters a stimulating and rewarding work environment that encourages teamwork and cooperation across the organization
- Recognizes and celebrates high-quality work
- Supports our professional development
- Helps us to balance the demands of work and home life in a manner consistent with achieving our personal and organizational objectives
- Creates an atmosphere conducive to friendship and fun
RTC proudly offers a wide range of benefit programs to our employees—benefits that are both comprehensive and competitive within our industry, including—
- 403(b) retirement plan
- Medical (PPO or HMO)
- Life insurance, short- and long-term disability
- Health and dependent care flexible spending
- Commuter pre-tax benefits
- Commuter bike benefits
- On-site bike storage (and shower)
- Vacation and sick leave
- Flextime work schedule
- Compressed work schedule
- 10 federal holidays plus two additional holidays per year
- Two personal days per year
Where We’re Located
Boasting one of the best urban trail systems in the country, Washington, D.C., is the ideal home for RTC’s national office. Surrounded by a variety of restaurants and shops, our office is near the Red line at the Dupont Circle Metro stop and the Blue and Orange Lines at the Foggy Bottom Metro stop.
Florida Field Office
The Florida Office is located in Tallahassee, the state’s capital, which hosts a vibrant bicycle population and beautiful canopy-lined roads, and is home to two of Florida's major universities as well as a community college. Convenient access to the Apalachee Parkway and Capital Circle, as well as StarMetro (formerly TalTran) bus service, allows for an easy commute throughout the city.
Midwest Regional Office
Yellow Springs, Ohio
The Midwest Regional Office is located in the historic village of Yellow Springs, just outside Dayton and part of the greater Miami River Valley. The location sits just blocks from the RTC Rail-Trail Hall of Fame designee the Little Miami Scenic Trail, which is part of the nation’s largest paved trail network. With convenient access to Interstate 70, Interstate 675 and Interstate 75, the office is 20 minutes from Dayton, less than an hour from Columbus and Cincinnati and less than two hours from Indianapolis.
Northeast Regional Office
Camp Hill, Pa.
The Northeast Regional Office is on tree-lined Market Street in Camp Hill, Pa., within walking distance of local businesses. Camp Hill is a primarily residential and pretty town convenient to suburban shopping and just two miles from amenities in the state capital, Harrisburg, including train service to Philadelphia. With close access to Routes 81, 83 and 76, the location makes for easy travel within the state.
Western Regional Office
Our Western Regional Office is located in Oakland, Calif. The office is accessible by BART, close to restaurants and near Lake Merritt.
Commitment to Diversity
RTC is an equal opportunity employer and seeks qualified candidates regardless of race, ancestry, creed, religion, color, personal appearance, national origin, citizenship, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, parental status, family responsibilities, the presence of any sensory, physical or mental disability, intellectual disability, learning disability, membership in any labor organization, lawful source of income, political affiliation, or political ideology. EOE