Careers: Job Openings and Internships
Chesapeake & Ohio Canal National Historical Park | Photo by Frederick Schaedtler
Trails take the passion and energy of dedicated people to become a reality.
Our employees come from diverse backgrounds but with a common purpose—to enrich the lives of millions of Americans by creating a nationwide network of trails, which supports active transportation, health and wellness, environmental sustainability and economic vitality in communities across America.
Being part of the Rails-to-Trails Conservancy (RTC) team is a rewarding experience. Working together, and bound by common objectives and mutual respect, there is no goal that we cannot accomplish. Learn more about job openings and internships below.
At the very heart of RTC are our core values: leadership, teamwork, service, respect, quality and effectiveness—in a casual and fun work environment! These values inform how we treat each other, how we relate to external partners and how we go about our daily work.
To make these values real, we are committed to creating an internal culture that—
- Gives all of us the opportunity to participate in decision-making
- Fosters a stimulating and rewarding work environment that encourages teamwork and cooperation across the organization
- Recognizes and celebrates high-quality work
- Supports our professional development
- Helps us to balance the demands of work and home life in a manner consistent with achieving our personal and organizational objectives
- Creates an atmosphere conducive to friendship and fun
Commitment to Diversity
Rails-to-Trails Conservancy seeks diverse, passionate and qualified individuals who want to make a difference in the world. RTC is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, age, and other legally protected characteristics. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please e-mail email@example.com and provide the nature of your request and your contact information.
RTC proudly offers a wide range of benefit programs to our employees—benefits that are both comprehensive and competitive within our industry, including—
- Hybrid and remote work schedules
- Generous Paid time off benefits
- Medical and Dental insurance
- Health Savings Accounts
- 403(b) Retirement Plan
- Life insurance, short- and long-term disability
- Dependent care flexible spending
- Commuter pre-tax benefits and commuter bike benefit
- On-site bike storage (and shower)
Rails-to-Trails Conservancy is looking for college students and early career professionals interested in trails and active transportation to join our internship program. Your participation will help us diversify and prepare the next generation of leaders in the trails and outdoors movement. Through hands on training and one-on-one mentorship, you will gain experience and develop professional skills while supporting our staff in advancing our program work on a national level.
- We will begin accepting applications for our Winter/Spring Internships beginning December 2023.
- Interns will be paid $17.00/hour for up to 24 hours a week over a 12- to 18-week period. Compensation can be waived, as requested, to receive college credit.
What to Expect
Exposure: Engage with the issues and the people at the forefront of trail building, trail policy, mapping and communications.
Experience: Contribute to meaningful work in one of our departments while developing skills and professional experience. Participate in a capstone project to showcase your work.
Mentorship: Learn from RTC employees on a range of topics through trainings and professional development.
How to Apply: Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Please review requirements for each internship.
- Please include a résumé and a cover letter that indicates whether you are seeking a paid internship and/or college credit, and a brief statement about your personal background or experiences that demonstrate your potential to contribute to RTC’s commitment to create an inclusive and diverse workplace
Share your information and we will contact you if new opportunities fitting your qualifications become available.