Trails don't just happen. They take the passion and energy of many dedicated people to become a reality.
Our employees come from diverse backgrounds but with a common purpose—to enrich the lives of millions of Americans by creating a nationwide network of trails, which supports active transportation, health and wellness, environmental sustainability and economic vitality in communities across America.
Being part of the Rails-to-Trails Conservancy (RTC) team is a rewarding experience. Working
Thank you for your interest in working with RTC! If you want to be a part of our ambitious mission and believe your values, experiences and skills would be a good fit, please apply for one of the jobs listed below.
Rails-to-Trails Conservancy is looking for college students and early career professionals interested in trails and active transportation to join our internship program. Your participation will help us diversify and prepare the next generation of leaders in the trails and outdoors movement. Through hands on training and one-on-one mentorship, you will gain experience and develop professional skills while supporting our staff in advancing our program work on a national level.
What to Expect
Engage with the issues and the people at the forefront of trail building, trail policy, mapping and communications.
Contribute to meaningful work in one of our departments while developing skills and professional experience. Participate in a capstone project to showcase your work.
Learn from RTC employees and outside speakers on a range of topics through trainings and professional development.
Interns will be paid $15.20/hour for up to 24 hours a week over a 10- to 12-week period. Compensation can be waived, as requested, to receive college credit.
How to Apply
We are now accepting applications for Spring 2022. Due to COVID-19, remote work is an option.
Applicants must live and work in a state where RTC is already registered to do business. Those states include Colorado, the District of Columbia, Florida, Maryland, Maine, Michigan, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Texas, Virginia, Wisconsin and California (Oakland only).
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Please review requirements for each internship and email firstname.lastname@example.org with the following:
- The position you are applying for in the subject line
- A résumé (as a separate attachment)
- A cover letter that indicates whether you are seeking a paid internship and/or college credit, and a brief statement about your personal background or experiences that demonstrate your potential to contribute to RTC’s commitment to create an inclusive and diverse workplace
Interviews will be conducted for selected applicants, and internships will begin February 2022 or a mutually agreed-upon date. We will work with successful applicants to solve technology needs to ensure a positive remote internship experience.
At the very heart of RTC are our core values: leadership, teamwork, service, respect, quality and effectiveness—in a casual and fun work environment! These values inform how we treat each other, how we relate to external partners and how we go about our daily work.
To make these values real, we are committed to creating an internal culture that—
- Gives all of us the opportunity to participate in decision-making
- Fosters a stimulating and rewarding work environment that encourages teamwork and cooperation across the organization
- Recognizes and celebrates high-quality work
- Supports our professional development
- Helps us to balance the demands of work and home life in a manner consistent with achieving our personal and organizational objectives
- Creates an atmosphere conducive to friendship and fun
RTC proudly offers a wide range of benefit programs to our employees—benefits that are both comprehensive and competitive within our industry, including—
- 403(b) Retirement Plan
- Medical,Dental and Vision insurance
- Health Savings Accounts
- Life insurance, short- and long-term disability
- Dependent care flexible spending
- Commuter pre-tax benefits and commuter bike benefit
- On-site bike storage (and shower)
- Generous leave benefits
- Flexible work schedule
Visit our location page to see where we work!
Commitment to Diversity
Rails-to-Trails Conservancy seeks diverse, passionate and qualified individuals who want to make a difference in the world. RTC is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, age, and other legally protected characteristics. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please e-mail email@example.com and provide the nature of your request and your contact information.