Rails to Trails Magazine
Rails to Trails magazine is dedicated to exploring America’s remarkable rail-trails and trail-networks, with a focus on the opportunities they provide and the impact they have in communities nationwide. The magazine is a benefit of membership to Rails-to-Trails Conservancy (RTC), which is $18 a year, $5 of which supports the magazine. In addition to the magazine, members receive discounts on RTC gifts and publications. The magazine is published four times a year—three in print, one digital—by RTC. Subscribe now to get special features on remarkable rail-trails and trail-networks while also supporting our work.
Latest Issue of Rails to Trails Magazine
As Rails-to-Trails Conservancy celebrates its 35th anniversary in 2021, we take a closer look at the rail-trails that helped build the movement, and the passionate and diverse people and communities today who continue to expand and shape the American rail-trail landscape.
In this issue:
- Take an in-depth look at the history of America’s earliest rail-trails in our special expanded cover story, with a focus on the champions who made these iconic pathways possible.
- Reflect on the significant efforts and contributions of Rep. Eleanor Holmes Norton—RTC’s 2020 Doppelt Family Rail-Trail Champion—to the trails and active transportation movement.
- Explore how the developing Central Ohio Greenways network in the Columbus region is spurring active-transportation connectivity across 730+ miles and eight counties.
- Get a first inside look at the budding New England Rail-Trail Network, which will eventually connect 560+ miles of trails in six states.
- Learn about the new discoveries—and perspectives—being made by athletes from Special Olympics Kansas on the state’s extensive trail system.
- And much more!
Features from Rails to Trails Magazine
08/27/19 by Scott Stark
04/20/19 by Scott Stark
Green Issue Digital Features
Rails to Trails magazine is pleased to present our Green Issue each year, featuring a collection of amazing videos and slideshows highlighting America’s trails.
Our members always have plenty to say (and write) about Rails to Trails—and we're always eager to hear it! If you enjoyed or have comments on a recent issue of the magazine, please submit a short letter to our editor. If we can—we’ll print it in the next edition! You can also contact us for former issues and articles of Rails to Trails not listed in the archive. Don't forget to check out our TrailBlog for more stories.