Rails to Trails Magazine
Rails to Trails magazine is dedicated to exploring America’s remarkable rail-trails and trail-networks, with a focus on the opportunities they provide and the impact they have in communities nationwide. The magazine is a benefit of membership to Rails-to-Trails Conservancy (RTC), which is $22 a year, $5 of which supports the magazine. In addition to the magazine, members receive discounts on RTC gifts and publications. The magazine is published four times a year—three in print, one digital—by RTC. Subscribe now to get special features on remarkable rail-trails and trail-networks while also supporting our work.
Latest Issue of Rails to Trails Magazine
Renewal, rebirth and discovery—those are central themes of this Spring/Summer 2021 issue of Rails to Trails magazine, and the lens by which we hope you’ll experience the voices, stories and ideas captured here.
In this issue, we:
- Get to know the expansive 135-mile Olympic Discovery Trail, a developing pathway that will eventually connect Puget Sound to the Pacific Ocean while featuring some of Washington State’s most revered natural and cultural assets.
- Learn about Rails-to-Trails Conservancy’s (RTC’s) ambitious historical exploration of the route of the Great American Rail-Trail™ through a project launching this summer, comprising hundreds of stories and points of interest—and get a first glimpse (“Here Lies White Buffalo Girl”).
- Explore how the 75-mile Pinellas Trail in Florida has become a game-changing active-transportation route that served an estimated 2 million+ people in 2020.
- Pay tribute to friend and philanthropist Jeff Doppelt, one of our movement’s greatest champions, who passed away earlier this year.
- Find out more about RTC co-founder Peter Harnik’s new book on the history and evolution of the rail-trail movement.
- And much more!
Features from Rails to Trails Magazine
08/27/19 by Scott Stark
04/20/19 by Scott Stark
Green Issue Digital Features
Rails to Trails magazine is pleased to present our Green Issue each year, featuring a collection of amazing videos and slideshows highlighting America’s trails.
Our members always have plenty to say (and write) about Rails to Trails—and we're always eager to hear it! If you enjoyed or have comments on a recent issue of the magazine, please submit a short letter to our editor. If we can—we’ll print it in the next edition! You can also contact us for former issues and articles of Rails to Trails not listed in the archive. Don't forget to check out our TrailBlog for more stories.