Rails to Trails Magazine
See Latest Issue Subscribe to Magazine
Ohio & Erie Canal Towpath Trail in Cleveland, Ohio, along the Cuyahoga River | Photo by Renee Rosensteel
Rails to Trails Magazine
Rails to Trails magazine is dedicated to exploring America’s remarkable rail-trails and trail-networks, with a focus on the opportunities they provide and the impact they have in communities nationwide. The magazine is a benefit of membership to Rails-to-Trails Conservancy (RTC), which is $22 a year, $5 of which supports the magazine. In addition to the magazine, members receive discounts on RTC gifts and publications. The magazine is published four times a year—three in print, one digital—by RTC. Subscribe now to get special features on remarkable rail-trails and trail-networks while also supporting our work.
Inside the Magazine
Magazine Features Green Issue Videos Magazine Archive Get the Magazine
Latest Issue of Rails to Trails Magazine
Winter 2023 Issue
Connecting with our roots, while embracing our future—that's the theme of this, our Winter 2023 issue of Rails to Trails magazine.
In this issue, we:
- Explore how the eventual 101-mile Ohio & Erie Canal Towpath Trail is building on its historical and industrial roots to create a new era of tourism, recreation and commerce
- Take a look at how the Charlotte Rail Trail—a bustling rail-with-trail built on a former trolley line—is serving as a vital urban transit and active transportation pathway and cultural connector
- Commemorate the Chinese immigrants who helped make the railroads, including the Northern Pacific Railway—a precursor to many rail-trails—possible
- Take a literal ride through two stunning trails in Oregon's Columbia River Gorge that offer hot spots for fishing and outdoor recreation: the Dalles Riverfront Trail and the Deschutes River Trail
- Learn about some of the best destination trail towns (many former rail towns) along Missouri’s 144-mile Rock Island Trail, currently in development
- Get to know the recently launched TrailNation™ Collaborative, which is building on the national trail community’s decades of expertise and experience to accelerate trail network development nationwide
- And much more!
Features from Rails to Trails Magazine
From Dream to National Treasure: The Great American Rail-Trail
05/08/19 by Laura Stark,Brandi Horton
Illustration by Anderson Design Group
A Serious Injury Changed Cyclist Ian Mackay’s Life. Trails Helped Him Rebuild It.
08/27/19 by Scott Stark
A View From … The Great American Rail-Trail
01/23/19 | Laura Stark
From Toxic Site to Thriving Rail-Trail: Montana's Silver Bow Creek Greenway
04/20/19 by Scott Stark
Green Issue Digital Features
Rails to Trails magazine is pleased to present our Green Issue each year, featuring a collection of amazing videos and slideshows highlighting America’s trails.
2014 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020 | 2021 | 2022
Become a Member
Get a FREE t-shirt and support our work to build, maintain, defend and connect trail corridors across the nation.Become a Member
Get the Magazine
Subscribe now to get special features on remarkable rail-trails and trail-networks while also supporting our work.Subscribe
We Want to Hear From You!
Our members always have plenty to say (and write) about Rails to Trails—and we're always eager to hear it! If you enjoyed or have comments on a recent issue of the magazine, please submit a short letter to our editor. If we can—we’ll print it in the next edition! You can also contact us for former issues and articles of Rails to Trails not listed in the archive. Don't forget to check out our TrailBlog for more stories.