Rails to Trails Magazine
Rails to Trails magazine is dedicated to exploring America’s remarkable rail-trails and trail-networks, with a focus on the opportunities they provide and the impact they have in communities nationwide. The magazine is a benefit of membership to Rails-to-Trails Conservancy (RTC), which is $22 a year, $5 of which supports the magazine. In addition to the magazine, members receive discounts on RTC gifts and publications. The magazine is published four times a year—three in print, one digital—by RTC. Subscribe now to get special features on remarkable rail-trails and trail-networks while also supporting our work.
Latest Issue of Rails to Trails Magazine
Optimism and opportunity—that’s the theme of our 2022 all-multimedia Green Issue of Rails to Trails, which explores the critical roles that trails and greenways are playing in efforts to energize, revitalize and galvanize people and places.
In this issue we …
- Explore how Washington State’s Olympic Discovery Trail, a majestic host of the Great American Rail-Trail®, is connecting communities and elevating cultural and geographic treasures across the Olympic Peninsula.
- Learn more about the community-led vision in greater Detroit for the Joe Louis Greenway, a developing trail network that’s slated to lead the charge for economic development, sustainable transportation and recreation.
- Take a look at how two very different but equally impactful trails in progress along the Great American are connecting trail users in Nebraska to culture, history and opportunities.
- Learn about the evolution of trails in Indiana while exploring the best of the Hoosier State’s rural and urban treks and outdoor assets.
- Take in the breathtaking Riverfront Heritage Trail in Kansas City.
- Get a sneak peak of some of our favorite trails soon to be featured in RTC’s upcoming 2023 guidebook, Rail-Trails California.
- Get to know our 2022 nominees for the national Rail-Trail Hall of Fame!
- And much more!
Features from Rails to Trails Magazine
08/27/19 by Scott Stark
04/20/19 by Scott Stark
Green Issue Digital Features
Rails to Trails magazine is pleased to present our Green Issue each year, featuring a collection of amazing videos and slideshows highlighting America’s trails.
Our members always have plenty to say (and write) about Rails to Trails—and we're always eager to hear it! If you enjoyed or have comments on a recent issue of the magazine, please submit a short letter to our editor. If we can—we’ll print it in the next edition! You can also contact us for former issues and articles of Rails to Trails not listed in the archive. Don't forget to check out our TrailBlog for more stories.