For more than 28 years, RTC has been the voice of trails, walking and biking nationwide. We have successfully advocated for federal policy and funding to support walking, biking and trail networks. Our national wins include—
- Playing a critical role in the creation of the Transportation Enhancements program in 1991
- Ensuring dedicated funds for trail development since 1992
- Protecting trail funding from elimination in 1998, 2003 and 2012
- Securing the creation of the Nonmotorized Transportation Pilot Program in 2005
We also work at the state and local levels to secure funding for trails and create programs for walking and bicycling. Read more about our successes.
RTC is a member of numerous national collaborations to promote trails and active transportation. By partnering with others, we increase the effectiveness of our policy efforts.
RTC is proud to hold leadership roles in—
- American Trails
- America Walks
- Every Body Walk! Collaborative
- Coalition for Recreational Trails
- Transportation Equity Caucus
We also participate in many regional and local partnerships, and assist local leaders in developing coalitions with other organizations to promote walking and biking at state, regional and local levels.
RTC is a leader in the Partnership for Active Transportation, a unique collaboration bringing together organizations in the transportation, public health and community development sectors. The Partnership works to 1) build a diverse and influential movement for healthy places and healthy people using active transportation; and 2) secure greater funding investments in safe trail, walking and bicycling networks.
Our national campaigns and partnerships with thousands of community-based organizations are making it easier to develop and enjoy the benefits of trails. This work depends on the support of our hundreds of thousands of individual members and supporters.