Open until filled
Rails-to-Trails Conservancy (RTC), a nonprofit organization with more than 160,000 members and supporters, is the nation's largest trails organization dedicated to connecting people and communities by creating a nationwide network of public trails, many from former rail lines and connecting corridors. Founded in 1986, RTC’s national office is located in Washington, D.C., with regional offices in California, Florida, Ohio and Pennsylvania.
National Headquarters – Washington, D.C.
Rails-to-Trails Conservancy's TrailLink.com website receives approximately 300,000 unique visits each month. Traillink.com offers more than 30,000 miles of trail information to the public free of charge. The site provides comprehensive trail information, including trail names, photos, uses, descriptions and GIS maps.
Our National Office has a full- or part-time TrailLink.com/Photography Internship available. The successful candidate will assist the TrailLink.com team in enriching images on the site. The intern will have the following responsibilities:
- Enrich the site with trail photos by—
- Loading existing photos from our archives into the appropriate trail record
- Researching trail photo resources and soliciting the use of photos on TrailLink.com
- Creative campaign development and execution through social media, onsite activities and/or email to encourage photo submissions by the public
- Identifying best photos for each trail to publish in Iphone app
- Securing and documenting rights to use photos we collect
- Apply keyword metadata and geotag photos when possible
- Conduct outreach to collect historic photos in support of fulfillment of a grant RTC secured to embellish the site with trail history and historic photographs for select trails
- Assist in implementation of the overall Traillink.com work plan
Qualified candidates are undergraduate seniors and graduate students currently enrolled in a graduate program related to photography, marketing, journalism/communications, database management or a related field. The student should have the ability to work independently and have excellent verbal and written communication skills.
While RTC internships are unpaid, individuals will enjoy the benefits of working in RTC’s National Headquarters in downtown Washington, D.C., in a casual but professional environment.
Surrounded by a variety of restaurants and shops, our office is near the Red line at the Dupont Circle Metro stop and the Blue and Orange Lines at the Foggy Bottom Metro stop. Cultural attractions include the Smithsonian Institution, historical monuments, and the trendy Dupont Circle and Georgetown neighborhoods.
How to Apply
Please use only one method of transmitting your résumé. No phone calls please, unless contacted for an in-person interview.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and résumé indicating a “TrailLink.com Photography Internship” preference, including how you learned of this announcement, to the following contact:
Human Resources Manager
The Duke Ellington Building
2121 Ward Court, NW, 5th Floor
Washington, D.C. 20037
EOE. Diverse candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.