Join Rails-to-Trails Conservancy and state-based active transportation, trail, multimodal transportation and transit advocates from around the country for an interactive discussion of replicable policies, tactics and success stories. With most states convening their legislatures at the beginning of 2023, now is the time to be ready with legislative asks. We will focus on generating state funds appropriated by legislatures, and on successful bills, impactful funding mechanisms, game-changing coalitions and effective campaigns that are making a difference.
The hour will kick off with RTC interviewing Palmer McIntyre, head of North Carolina’s Great Trails State Coalition, and Yumeno Young, who previously worked for an Ohio legislator and now serves as a top aide for a Pennsylvania state representative.
Palmer will discuss her coalition’s multi-year, multifaceted approach to pursuing dedicated funding, and Yumeno her work for the co-chair of the Ohio Legislative Trails Caucus and general perspectives on state legislative advocacy.
Rails-to-Trails Conservancy's state policy staff will then discuss best practices in other states, followed by ample time for Q&A.
Those new to legislative advocacy will appreciate the “Legislature 101” tactics while veterans will learn new policy and funding ideas from other states.
- Palmer McIntyre, head of North Carolina’s Great Trails State Coalition
- Yumeno Young, legislative aide for Pennsylvania state representative
- Andrew Dupuy, Director of State-Level Policy, Rails-to-Trails Conservancy (moderator)
- Brian Housh, Midwest Policy Manager, Rails-to-Trails Conservancy
- North Carolina Great Trails State Coalition: https://greattrailsstatecoalition.org/
- North Carolina’s 2023 Year of the Trail: https://greattrailsnc.
com/ AND https://greattrailsstatecoalition.org/year-of-the-trail/
- North Carolina’s Community Toolkit for Year of the Trail: https://greattrailsnc.com/toolkit/
- California’s Active Transportation Program: https://www.railstotrails.org/policy/building-active-transportation-systems/active-transportation-policy-hub/pages/california-s-active-transportation-program-a-model-of-stable-consolidated-funding/
- Active Transportation Policy Hub: https://www.railstotrails.org/policy/building-active-transportation-systems/active-transportation-policy-hub/
- More on the Ohio Legislative Trails Caucus: https://www.railstotrails.org/policy/building-active-transportation-systems/active-transportation-policy-hub/pages/ohio-legislative-trails-caucus/
- Many resources on demonstrating the economic impact of trails can be accessed in RTC’s Resource Library: https://www.railstotrails.org/resource-library/results/?collection=Benefits+of+Trails