Rail-Trail Hall of Fame
Photo by Kelly Pack, courtesy Rails-to-Trails Conservancy
In 2007, RTC began recognizing exemplary rail-trails around the country through its Rail-Trail Hall of Fame. We select inductees on merits such as scenic value, high use, trail and trailside amenities, historical significance, excellence in management and maintenance of facility, community connections and geographic distribution.
Hall of fame rail-trails receive a variety of honors, including special signage to place along their trails, a Trail of the Month feature and a highlight in Rails to Trails magazine. View Hall of Fame gallery.
Congratulations to 2018 Inductee Indiana's Cardinal Greenway!
Rails-to-Trails Conservancy is pleased to announce Indiana’s Cardinal Greenway as this year’s Rail-Trail Hall of Fame inductee, chosen by national vote.
Stretching nearly 62 miles between Marion and Richmond—and featuring shaded woods, running rivers, urban centers, small towns and bucolic farmland—the Cardinal Greenway is the longest rail-trail in the state, and makes up a core segment of an even longer system, the Cardinal Greenways, which has sights to link up with trails in Illinois and Ohio. Thanks to the dedication of its visionary and caregiver, Cardinal Greenways, Inc., the trail is also celebrating its 25th year as a community treasure! Congratulations!
View full photo essay with captions by clicking on the first photo. Scroll through the slideshow using the right and left arrows.
Rail-Trail Hall of Fame
- Great Allegheny Passage (Maryland/Pennsylvania)
- Katy Trail State Park (Missouri)
- Fred Marquis Pinellas Trail (Florida)
- Burke-Gilman Trail (Washington)
- Minuteman Commuter Bikeway (Massachusetts)
- Illinois Prairie Path (Illinois)
- Elroy-Sparta State Trail (Wisconsin)
- Bizz Johnson Trail (California)
- W&OD Trail (Virginia)
- Monon Trail (Indiana)
- Silver Comet (Georgia) and Chief Ladiga trails (Alabama)
- East Bay Bicycle Path (Rhode Island)
- Pere Marquette Rail-Trail of Michigan
- Little Miami Scenic Trail (Ohio)
- Paul Bunyan State Trail (Minnesota)
- Wabash Trace Nature Trail (Iowa)
- Prairie Spirit Rail Trail State Park (Kansas)
- Springwater Corridor (Oregon)
- High Line (New York)
- George S. Mickelson Trail (South Dakota)
- Prescott Peavine National Recreation Trail and Iron King Trail (Arizona)
- Longleaf Trace (Mississippi)
- Trail of the Coeur d'Alenes and Route of the Hiawatha (Idaho)
- Historic Union Pacific Rail Trail State Park (Utah)
- Island Line Rail Trail (Vermont)
- Greenbrier River Trail (West Virginia)
- Virginia Creeper National Recreation Trail (Virginia)
- Heritage Rail Trail County Park (Pennsylvania) and Torrey C. Brown Rail Trail (Maryland)
- Midtown Greenway (Minnesota)
- Hudson Valley Trail Network (New York)
- Tammany Trace (Louisiana)
- Cardinal Greenway (Indiana)