WEBINAR – Accessible and Inclusive Events and Programming on Multiuse Trails
When most people go out on the trail, they are looking to have fun, be healthy, enjoy nature and bond with friends and family. This is true—regardless of one’s age or ability. By hosting inclusive events, trail professionals can create a welcoming environment that allows everyone to participate and enjoy the trail experience.
This webinar is designed for trail and recreation professionals interested in creating inclusive outdoor spaces for disabled trail users. The session will focus on strategies and best practices for hosting successful events and programs that cater to the needs of individuals with disabilities, spotlighting examples from:
– Devon Kurtz, Exec. Director, Blackstone River Valley National Heritage Corridor
– Eric Mahnerd, Board Member, Sequim Wheelers
– Erin McDaniel, Health and Fitness Program Manager, Special Olympics of Kansas
- Check out our Trail Moments and share your own story here! https://www.railstotrails.org/experience-trails/trail-moments/
- Join us for Celebrate Trails Day on April 22nd! https://railstotrails.org/celebratetrails
- Learn more about the Blackstone River Greenway on TrailLink: https://www.traillink.com/trail/blackstone-river-greenway/
- Interested in learning more of Major Taylor’s story? Check out this piece from RTC’s Trail Blog: https://www.railstotrails.org/trailblog/2017/february/16/honoring-the-legacy-of-african-american-cycling-legend-major-taylor/
- Learn more about Devon’s work on the Blackstone River Valley! https://blackstoneheritagecorridor.org/learning/adaptive-exercise-programs/
- Check out the Olympic Discovery Trail on TrailLink! https://www.traillink.com/trail/olympic-discovery-trail/
- Today’s panelists are providing incredible case studies and examples! Take a look at RTC’s Accessibility Toolkit for more: https://www.railstotrails.org/build-trails/trail-building-toolbox/design/accessibility/
- Learn more about Sequim Wheelers! https://sequimwheelers.com/
- Looking for more information on designing accessible trails? Check out this page: https://www.railstotrails.org/resource-library/resources/webinar-accessibility-on-rail-trails-and-other-shared-use-paths/
- Check out Ian’s Trail Moments along the Great American Rail Trail! https://www.railstotrails.org/trailblog/2021/april/13/five-trail-moments-with-ian-mackay-founder-of-ians-ride/
- Learn more about Special Olympics Kansas! https://soks.org/
RTC’s TrailNation Collaborative, Trail Development and Policy teams produce a free webinar series designed to help trail professionals build, grow, manage, maintain, promote or otherwise support trails and trail networks. Sign up here to get webinar alerts.
Have a comment or question on our webinar series? Contact us below with topic or speaker ideas. We appreciate your feedback! Email us.
Everyone deserves access to safe ways to walk, bike, and be active outdoors.