The following content is updated periodically to provide current information about Rails-to-Trails Conservancy and rail-trail development at the national and state level.
National Rail-Trail and Trail Mileage Counts
Open: 2,171 open rail-trails for a total of 24,242 miles
Projects: 827 rail-trail projects for a total of 8,891 miles
State Rail-Trail and Trail Mileage Counts
To view state specific stats, use this map and select your state.
Longest Rail-Trails in America
*This list is comprised of rail-trails more than 100 miles long, where at least 90 percent of the trail is on a former railroad corridor.
- Katy Trail State Park — Missouri: 240 miles
- Palouse to Cascades States Park Trail — Washington: 229 miles
- Cowboy Trail — Nebraska: 219 miles
- Great Allegheny Passage — Maryland & Pennsylvania: 150 miles
- Soo Line Trail - Northern Route — Minnesota: 148 miles
- Columbia Plateau Trail State Park — Washington: 130 miles
- Paul Bunyan State Trail — Minnesota: 119 miles
- Flint Hills Nature Trail — Kansas: 117 miles
- Soo Line Trail - Southern Route & Saunders State Trail — Minnesota & Wisconsin: 114 miles
- OC&E Woods Line State Trail — Oregon: 110 miles
- George S. Mickelson Trail — South Dakota: 109 miles
- State Line Trail — Michigan: 107 miles
- Wild Rivers State Trail — Wisconsin: 104 miles